Friday, October 31, 2008

chop chop


"Are you sure I'll lose my hair?"

"Yes. The Idarubicin takes no prisoners. It usually begins to go 1-3 weeks after you stop taking it," said Dr. Pfister and, sadly, 2-3 other people. Not all chemo does this. This one does.

I called my hairdresser Genevieve at Artbeat Salon & Gallery in Berkeley (this is a plug and they are wonderful). I asked if she would be willing to come to a hospital, seeing me as a leukemia patient. I take away no points for free choice or squeamishness. After that moment of stunned pause, she said, "Yes, of course." I asked about the charge for a house call. "Just the normal salon cost," she said. I plotted a generous tip and told her I'd send her an email with directions, which in the insanity whirl of yesterday I completely forgot to do. 

I sent her a quick email an hour before her hoped-for 10 am arrival, then phoned the Salon. The receptionist said, "It's okay, they're on their way." They? "Charlene's coming, too." Charlene Stratton is the owner and my hairdresser 5 years ago when she was merely the posh stylist of the century in Marin County. After the birth of her first son 18 months ago, her schedule shrunk and I was given a choice of other stylists. Genevieve won. Today they both came. And this is a month after Charlene and her husband welcomed their 2nd son into the world!

I have a short and sexy cut for 1-2 weeks. I couldn't bear to let long clumps of hair cling to my pillowcase or gather in the shower. I had to treat myself. And they wouldn't take a cent from me. I cried. I said, "I don't know whether to wish I could give you a million dollars each or stand in gratitude and accept this. Thank you." With a humbled heart I then found a gift basket online to send to them sometime next week. With a little teddy bear in it, amidst the faux posh noshes.... for a little child who is frightened sometimes. And for hope.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane - I have never measured anyone by their hair , makeup or wardrobe. If anything, these outer masks interfere with seeing the real person. Even though we lost one another for 15 years, I could always (in high school) feel your shining light just beneath the surface. Through your on-line words, it is obvious that your inner light has grown and is flourising - even in these dark days.

Diane said...

Bless you both!

love from the pixie grump
xxoxoxoxo