Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Sunny days and surprises

I have been thrilled by two things today: One, that my WBC has gone from 300 to 800! Go, Neupogen (it's a jump-starter). Please keep visualizing past a thousand! And two, one more pump on my IV pole was removed. There's only one now and not three! Just walking down the corridors with a far easier to maneuver piece of hospital gear gives me a lift. I'm rootin' for Friday; I'm praying to be sprung in 48 hours. I would so like that!

Part of my healing has included the care of my dear friends Alison and Tony while on vacation
in Madeira. They texted me internationally daily and brought me along on their holiday! This is Ali poised graciously on the rocks. They work their butts off year-round managing their historic holiday cottages adjacent to the Findhorn River. As well Tony is an amazing contractor/carpenter and Ali a skilled psychotherapist. One of my favorite expressions of Ali's is, "Get real!"


My hair is 90% gone. I've been wearing caps day and at night.... scarves, too. I will have it shaved sometime soon, although I suspect I won't be able to until I leave. Yes, I've asked the nurses.... they're not allowed to do this and there ain't a barber in sight. Yes, I am pissed off. However, a shining light of cheer is Tony (where if you rent one of their Scottish Highland holiday cottages on your next vacation, you will likely never stop thanking me for the suggestion). This is his imitation of a Saudi hit man - in solidarity with my new scarf persona. I will wait now for any and all commentary on my gross political incorrectness. (If you're of Middle Eastern descent, I do apologize if I've offended you; otherwise, get a life). 

Broadly, I'm on four different antibiotics. I'm on a hydration drip as well with various bits added like phosphorous and potassium that have to be kept separate from the antibiotics. I presume I would explode or something like that if they dared commingle. I take other pills by mouth. And my PICC line, which joined this party at the very beginning and which has let the goodies in while being an innocuous vehicle for the daily blood draws (sometimes more!) has been removed due to infection. The good news is that I have another line going directly into a right-hand vein. The bad news is that it took five tries, two .5 mg. (that's point five) lots of Dilaudid and not a small amount of hollering. 

Another thing helped me today, encouraged by my raised spirits: Asking others how they are doing. I may have moments of listener energy, where others feel safe to share. A couple of people did that with me today (staff!).... a blessed series of minutes where it wasn't all about me

Marilyn & Cindy sent me a squishy teddy bear named Howard, Anglican prayer beads and..... a gorgeous hand-knit scarf with two matching caps! From Marilyn's sister. My mind reels at this gift of extended family. 

Oh, and Howard's etymology? Our Father, Who Art in Heaven, Howard Be Thy Name.....




1 comment:

Lucca ... said...

Hi Diane,
Ruth just let me know that you're blogging and that you're hanging out in the halls of 'horridor'. It's interesting because I tried to find you on the internet about a year ago and couldn't. Maybe I'm psychic!

I'm cheered to hear that your counts are rising and will add my prayers to the 'over 1 thousand club'. I'll read the rest of your blogs when I get a minute over the weekend. My thoughts are with you.