Friday, April 17, 2009

a day of good news

This is fun news: After 11 days in Scotland with extreme rest, lovely walks and getting rides into Forres for Church, grocery shopping, being around the Findhorn Foundation and seeing dear friends locally, several days as well of used car searching landed me a cute gem: This 2001 Hyundai Amica S1, a 5-door hatchback with a mere 39K miles and as clean as can be for around £1,800 (roughly USD$2,660)! Tony and I had combed the local used car outlets with that price range showing little more than funky beaters. Now I wouldn't try and play taxi to basketball players in this, but it's a sweet and highly affordable ticket to roaming independence while savoring being in the peace and quiet of this countryside home. Insurance is being sorted and should find me with these merry wheels by Tuesday at the latest. Of course it's not a Porsche or BMW. Hyundai isn't a superstar in any country, but it's highly economical, reliable and very cute. I will be able to sell it at my departure in roughly 6 months time with not too much depreciation of value.

Wheels! Wheeeee! 

The 2nd bit of very GOOD news is hearing today that my blood test shows stable numbers. This is brilliant. One of the bummers of even in-remission AML is the lurking paranoia.... is my fatigue due to all that's been happening for weeks and months or something more dastardly? While my late February to late March numbers went down alarmingly (hence the bone marrow biopsy on 3/24), the last 3+ weeks show the counts holding. They're not particularly strong numbers but they're holding. And as well I've become a part of the system at the Forres Health Centre. Three different doctors were in touch with me today! I feel very looked after while continuing the needed work of exploring Plans B, C, D and onward in case things Don't Look Good. 

There will be a ceilidh at the Altyre Estate tomorrow night. I haven't been to one in years. Unlike the olden days, YouTube now has various ceilidh dances for instruction or amusement - The Dashing White Sergeant and Strip the Willow are two favorites. You may come unprepared, however. The local people are gregariously open-hearted about showing foreign visitors how it goes. It tends to include being flung around the room with hoots 'n hollers. You bring your own to these - tea, cakes, single malt, sodas. The classic ceilidh band consists of one snare drum and two accordionists. It's by invitation only and I am thrilled to be going, even if two rounds of dances leave me panting. 

There's a program on the telly about garden gnomes. An old clock chimes the hour and half-hour. It's after 9 pm and an elongated dusk settles over the land. 

Slowly I am reemerging and gratitude returns with every other in-breath.

3 comments:

Felicia said...

Excellent! It's a wonderful thing to have wheels and good blood counts at the same time. :)

We love you! Keep up the good work...

Unknown said...

Dearest Diane,

I'm so pleased you are getting settled in Scotland. I loved the photo of you with your wheels - you look radiant!

Enjoy your time in Scotland!

Love, Mark ; )

Susan said...

I LOVE your car! I can just see you zipping around the Scottish countryside!

And what great news about your blood counts!

It brings us a great deal of happiness and Joy to know that you are being so lovingly held by the Place and the People there. I think your Soul is singing!

Sending Much Love,

Susan & Klaus